From: Braden McDaniel (braden_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-24 16:32:45

Rene Rivera wrote:

[snip]

> The libs versioned creates are internally versioned. It only creates
> *links/copies* with the unversioned names.

Yes; it's exactly this copy that I'd like to suppress. Is there a way to
do that? (Brutal modifications to the Boost build infrastructure are
welcome suggestions; I just need some direction here.)

> For example, in Windows, if
> you link to the unversioned DLL link library (boost_*.lib), the
> resulting binary will depend on the versioned DLLs. Same applies on the
> Unix side.

I don't think so. Looking at Solaris, anyway:

     $ ls -shF lib/libboost_thread*
     1.0K lib/libboost_thread-sw-mt-d-1_34.so@
     240K lib/libboost_thread-sw-mt-d-1_34.so.1.34.0*
     240K lib/libboost_thread-sw-mt-d.so*

That's after building with "variant=debug link=shared threading=multi".
The first listed there is a symlink; the latter two are not. I'm
reasonably sure that if I linked against the last one in this listing,
that dependency is exactly what I'd get.

Braden