From: Aaron W. LaFramboise (aaronrabiddog51_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-31 12:17:33

I just got Boost.Interprocess working, and it's really an amazing
library. Ion, it's obvious you've put a lot of time into this library,
and the result is really nice.

However, I've had these issues so far:

(1) Is there a way to get a managed_shared_memory segment to tell me
allocation statistics? What I'd like is something that can tell me.
   (a) Segment size
   (b) Allocated memory
   (c) Most importantly, free memory

(2) It's been brought up before, but there seriously needs to be a way
to grow managed shared memory segments. I understand that this is
really tricky to implement, and probably just as tricky to use safely,
but it's an important feature, in my opinion. I guess the main
difficulties here are the potential change of base, and atomicity?

(3) Regarding priv_open_or_create() in managed_open_or_create_impl.hpp,
this implementation creates some small annoyances for me by throwing. I
don't have any idea how to tell if POSIX O_CREAT actually created
anything or not. However, I'm using Windows, and on Windows, you always
can tell, as far as I know, both for file creation and named shared
memory object creation. Would it be difficult to avoid throwing for the
Windows case?