From: Tarjei Knapstad (tarjei.knapstad_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-05 04:37:49

On 6/5/07, dhruva <dhruvakm_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to BOOST and to ACE. Pardon me if this question appears
> stupid for the seasones BOOST/ACE developers/users.
> From what little I know of the two frameworks, I am noticing many
> overlapping functionalities (shared memory, streams, threads). Is
> there some place/someone that can provide me a top level differences
> and situations that makes one framework more suited than the other.
> Any help or pointers is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi Dhruva,

The Adaptive Communication Environment (ACE) is focused on network and
interprocess communication.

Boost is a _collection_ of C++ libraries for a multitude of purposes.
It includes a great variety of libraries, including but not limited
to:
 - a framework for template metaprogramming (MPL)
 - a library for reflection of C++ classes in Python (Boost.Python)
 - basic linear algebra (uBLAS)
 - a generic graph library (BGL)

Some of the functionality in Boost may overlap with parts of ACE (ASIO etc.).

Don't know if that helps you in any way... If you are looking for a
solution to a specific problem it's probably easier to give a detailed
answer.

Regards,

--
Tarjei