From: fanzhe cui (fanzhe.cui_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-06 13:24:27

Christian,

Boost is very widely accepted and utilized by game developers, and on the
web GameDev.net there are many many articles about various boost sub lib.
But I haven't seen many discussions about SDL lib on this boost mail list
from boost users/developers. SDL is very convenient cross-platform C++
development platform that can be used not only game developers but also by
other developers. It has easy-to-use classes of multithreads, mutex, event
queues, timer callbacks, semaphores, key board input handling, audio, video,
to name a few. Most of these functionalities are available from Boost lib.
But I haven't seen good timer callback available from Boost lib (anybody can
correct me if I am not so informed of Boost timer).

I tried to extract the timer functions (classes) from the SDL lib into an
individual timer lib, and the work is still in progress. I am not sure other
users in the list are interested in knowing about porting SDL timer to
Boost. So if you can tell me your email of this email list, I can send you
the project file.

What exactly I did was that I included the relevant source files from SDL
package, and compile it with testing program. I was able to get the exe file
but the project also generated a library file in addition to the exe file. I
am confused by the fact that the project generating TimerTest.lib, that I
don't want t. Rather, I wanted to link them with TimerTest not intended to.
I checked the project configuration file, and there is no setting that will
generate a library file. I think it might be set in the program source code,
but I did not find it.

I am interested in your idea of implement SDL wrapper in boost lib. Thank
you!

Best regards,
Fanzhe Cui
Goldiom Systems LLC
- Information and Communication Technology Provider
Email: fanzhe.cui_at_[hidden]
Tel: 973-210-4254
www.goldiom.com