From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-10 10:09:59

on Fri Jun 08 2007, "Robert Murphy" <robertemurphy-AT-hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Following instructions on the "Getting Started on Windows" page, I
> installed boost using the BoostPro 1.34.0 Installer on XP Pro. I
> included the Boost.Regex binaries as directed, too. I'm running VS
> C++ 2005 Express. SDK is not installed. All directories are linked
> to as instructed to do so in the properties window.
>
> I tried building the 2nd program: e-mail checker one. However I get
> "LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'user32.lib'" as an
> error. 'user32.lib' is in the SDK
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Must I have the SDK installed to use boost for general unit testing
> of code I personally generate?

Boost doesn't work under .NET IIUC, and according to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/usingpsdk/, if
you're not doing .NET, you need the PSDK.

> 2. Do I have to have the SDK installed for the above program to run?

I suspect the answer is "no," but here's how you can find out:

If user32.lib is a DLL import library or it has DLL dependencies in
the SDK, then you will at at least need those DLLs present on your
system in the PATH or the same directory as your program. Otherwise,
you do not.

HTH,

--
Dave Abrahams