From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-13 02:11:45

Hi,

Zeljko Vrba wrote:
> Are there any plans to extend the intrusive library with lock-free data
> structures (stacks, FIFO queues)?

I haven't thought about this, but it sounds interesting. But lock-free
is far beyond by possibilities.

> I'm about to start writing my own
> lock-free classes and have thought that it'd be nice to include them in
> the intrusive library, if possible [I've gotten used to the interface,
> and I don't want to have different interfaces in my code]. My goals:

Are you sure these new containers fit in Intrusive? Maybe a new,
lock-free containers library is what we need.

> - target platform: Solaris using atomic_ops (3C); possibly also inline
> ASM for SunCC

This is a big problem. First, Intrusive does not support (for the
moment) SunCC. Second, we will need portable containers to admit them in
Intrusive.

> I don't have neither time nor resources (nor will, for that matter) to
> make a full implementation that works on all platforms supported by
> Boost. Also, I do *not* want to use Boost.Thread.

Maybe you could join with other lock-free experts to develop the
library. Just curious: Do you support all the Intrusive interface? What
thread-safety do you achieve with containers, hooks, and algorithms?

Regards,

Ion