From: Andrew Holden (aholden_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-13 14:37:43

I believe that the key phrase for "using" the libraries is "unless such
copies or derivative works are solely in the form of machine-executable
object code generated by a source language processor."

If you use the libraries in your program, then the resulting object
files and executable file might be considered "derivative works" if you
follow FSF's definition. However, these files are all
"machine-executable object code generated by a source language
processor," and the restrictions would not apply.

Of course, a lawyer might disagree.