From: me22 (me22.ca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-13 16:00:02

On 13/06/07, Felipe Magno de Almeida <felipe.m.almeida_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> If, hypotetically, I fix a bug in shared_ptr. What are my obligations
> when using it inside a closed-source project?

Your modification of shared_ptr is probably a derivative work, and as
such falls under the Boost Software License. However, there's no
requirement that you distribute your modifications. Note the "to
any person or organization obtaining a copy of the software and
accompanying documentation covered by this license"--since the only
people that could legally obtain your modification are in your
company, you don't have a problem. As has been mentioned, once you
compile it, you have almost no obligations. Also, that part can be
treated as a separate work that is just used by your program.

( Aggregation creates a Compilation, not a derivative work. When
nvidia releases a binary linux driver, for example, part of the code
is GPLed, but the rest of it is not. The FSF doesn't like the
"non-free" part, but it's not a legal problem. Similarly, the
collection of packages and such on a LiveCD is copyrightable, but is a
distinct work from the contained software packages. )

IANAL as always,
~ Scott McMurray