From: Benson Margulies (bim2007_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-25 07:44:40

I beg the indulgence of the maintainers to clarify the support
intentions here and then I'll go back to my cave.

The facts are:

1) The regression tests run reasonably on CC 5.8, with or without
-library=stlport4
2) I have a seemingly simple example of using multi_index that won't
compile with CC 5.8 unless I'm using -library=stlport4. The compile
error, for what it's worth, does not point to one of the weaknesses of
the 'old Sun STL' in any obvious way. But it could easily be that some
ifdef that is trying to compensate for the old STL is in turn creating
the conditions for the failure.

(I'm not entirely sure about #1.)

The question is:

"Is it the intention of the maintainers to support CC 5.8 without
-library=stlport4?"

If the answer is 'yes', then I will nudge to get this case included in
the regression, and I will invest some time in trying to unscrew the
inscrutable error.

If the answer is 'no', then I will concentrate on moving our Apatosaurus
of a code-base to getting itself compiled with -library=stlport4 as soon
as I can, and defer use of boost until that can accomplish itself.