From: Pfligersdorffer, Christian (Christian.Pfligersdorffer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-27 05:08:58

boost-users-bounces_at_[hidden] wrote:

>> If you're talking about portable binary archives for
>> Boost.Serialization, there's been talk, but I'm not sure what
>> the status is - anyone have an implementation? I'd be willing
>> to help / work with someone on it.
>>

> That's what I am looking for. We need to get the file sizes down. We
> could use text (XML is great for debugging but too big for final
> release), but again that has its overheads. We generally don't use
> floating point so that may help us. The link I posted does have a
> portable implementation which I think uses IEEE754. I just wondered if
> there was an official boost:serilisation version; obviously not!!

Hello James,

there _is_ a portable binary archive provided with the examples but as Robert Ramey points out in the code documentation, it is not complete as it lacks the floating point conversion. But if Johan is willing to fill this gap I am perfectly confident that we could have a comprehensive implementation in a few weeks. That is, if the issue that Dan Leibovich found in the example can be resolved.

I follow the portable archive discussion with great interest since I would very much like to use it too.

PS @ Cliff: Very interesting post! Do you know about when and if the endian library will enter the official boost release? I would find that useful too.

Regards,

--
Christian Pfligersdorffer