From: Dan Leibovich (dan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-27 13:38:01

Hi,

I have tried using the HEAD version and found the same issues.
Let me summarize my findings:

I have used the to use the portable_binary_o/iarchive to serialize classes with strings and integers (no floating point)
I have got deferent results on linux / solaris hosts.
I have found that metadata types like class_id_type are not saved correctly. The save_impl(long t) method is not called for this kind of types.

The following program never reaches the save_impl method
#include "portable_binary_oarchive.hpp"
#include <fstream>

int main() {
  char* file = "file" ;
  boost::archive::class_id_type cid ;

  std::ofstream ofs(file, std::ios::binary) ;
  portable_binary_oarchive oar(ofs) ;
  oar << cid ;
  ofs.close() ;
}

I have tried adding specialization like:

void save(const boost::archive::class_id_type t){
      save_impl(t);
}

and:
void load(unsigned short & t){
     long l;
     load_impl(l, sizeof(unsigned long));
     t = l;
}
void load(short & t){
     long l;
     load_impl(l, sizeof(long));
     t = l;
}

But it resulted with portable_binary_archive_exception
if(size > maxsize)
            throw portable_binary_archive_exception() ;

Do you have any suggestion on how to proceed.

Thanks in advance,
 Dan