From: Douglas Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-18 00:23:40

On Jul 16, 2007, at 7:10 PM, Charles Karney wrote:

> I'm testing out Boost MPI on Windows following the description in
>
> http://www.generic-programming.org/~dgregor/boost.mpi/doc/mpi/
> getting_started.html
>
> I've installed MPICH 1.2.5 (the only one of the tested MPI
> implementations that works with Windows) in C:\Program Files\MPICH;

I haven't tried MPICH on Windows with Boost.MPI, but I've used MPICH
on Linux and MS-MPI on Windows (an MPICH variant) with Boost.MPI, so
we'll get you up and running.

> have
> checked out boost from the CVS repository; and have bjam 3.1.13.
>
> bjam --with-mpi
>
> then complains about not finding MPI. For example, I tried adding to
> user-config.jam the following:
>
> using mpi : : "C:/Program Files/MPICH/SDK/Lib/mpich.lib" ;

I believe you'll need something like:

   using mpi : : <find-static-library>"C:/Program Files/MPICH/SDK/Lib/
mpich.lib" ;

If mpich.lib actually corresponds to a DLL, use <find-shared-library>
instead of <find-static-library>

> If anyone has succeeded in getting Boost MPI working on Windows (with
> Visual Studio .NET) and with any MPI implementation, I'd appreciate
> hearing how they configured it.

I've used Boost.MPI on Windows XP with Visual Studio .NET 2005 and
Microsoft's MPI (MS-MPI). If you install the Compute Cluster Pack
(which includes MS-MPI) in the default place, "bjam --with-mpi"
should auto-detect MS-MPI and work out of the box. We can do the same
for MPICH on Windows, but I can't write the auto-detection code for a
few weeks because I'm on the road and away from a Windows desktop.

        - Doug