From: Scott McMurray (me22.ca+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-19 13:52:25

On 19/07/07, Olaf van der Spek <olafvdspek_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 7/19/07, Boris <boriss_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > It would have been nice though if the name had been changed to something
> > like Boost.Net or Boost.Sockets. It's no wonder that someone looking for
> > network and sockets support doesn't find Boost.Asio.
>
> I doubt http://boost.org/libs/libraries.htm won't mention network or
> sockets once Asio is included.

My understanding is that there will be future additions to ASIO to
cover IO with sources and sinks other than sockets, such as files, and
that the name is intended to convey that.

There was a lengthy discussion of names in the review, as I recall,
which should have more details. I think the consensus was that ASIO
isn't great, but that nothing better was found.

~ Scott