From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-25 13:14:47

I am hopeful that progress will soon be made on this area.

This would accomplish:

a) fixing noted bugs in the portable binary archive and making
it pass the serialization torture tests that the other archives
are subjected to.

b) subjecting it (along with other archives) to profiling at least
with gcc compilers.

I wasn't planning on addressing floating point. If someone wants
to do this I would certainly be happy to lend my constructive
criticism to the effort. The main issues are:

a) portable subset of NaN's etc. It seems to me this is ready to
that this code has been done by John Rade? so that's would seem
ok.

b) portable encoding of floating point - a very attractive proposal
was submitted some time ago (with code !!!) by Ralf W Grosse-Kunstleve
search the mailing list for this.

So feel free to get busy.

Robert Ramey