From: Doug Gregor (dgregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-27 14:18:18

Boost will be moving to Subversion on Tuesday, July 31st.

=== What's happening ===
We are converting the existing Boost CVS repository, hosted by
SourceForge, over to Subversion. The contents of the CVS repository
will join the Boost sandbox and (beta) web site in the Boost
Subversion repository, hosted by the Open Systems Laboratory at
Indiana University.

=== Timeline ===
At 8:00 AM EDT on Tuesday, July 31, we will be cutting off access to
the current Boost CVS repository. The Boost Subversion repository,
mailing list archives, Boost Trac, beta.boost.org, and anything else
hosted at OSL will also be unavailable during this time.

We expect to have everything back online by midnight Tuesday. I will
send another note to the mailing lists when the conversion is complete.

The mailing lists and the main Boost web site should still work
during this time.

=== What you should do ===
If you have any outstanding changes to Boost in your local CVS tree,
commit them before 8:00am EDT on Tuesday. Any changes to your local
CVS tree that have not been committed to CVS will be lost and will
have to manually be moved over Subversion. The Boost CVS repository
will not be reopened.

If you have not done so yet, familiarize yourself with Subversion,
read the Boost Trac page about the Boost Subversion repository, and,
if you have write access to CVS, request a Subversion account:

        http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/BoostSubversion

=== Who's in charge? ===
I will be the primary contact person for questions about and problems
with the Boost Subversion repository. Most questions should be
directed to the Boost mailing list. Account requests should go to all
of the moderators at boost-owner_at_lists.boost.org.

=== How you can help ===
In several Boost tools and many places in Boost's documentation, we
refer to the Boost CVS repository. We need help upgrading these tools
and fixing the documentation to refer to the Boost Subversion
repository. Specifically:

        * regression.py, used by regression testers, must be updated to use
Subversion

        * Various developer and release-manager documentation talks about
Boost's CVS, but should now refer to Subversion. Better yet: migrate
this documentation over to the Boost Trac, where it is easier to
maintain and update, and won't be a part of the Boost distribution

        * Write Subversion-specific documentation on the Trac. Quick-start
guides, tips and tricks, etc. would be helpful. One particularly
important bit: using svnmerge.py to simplify the handling of release
branches.

        Doug Gregor
        Open Systems Lab @ Indiana University