From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-31 03:42:06

hongleij_at_[hidden] wrote:

> as a person familiar with usage of boost,yet a green man of building the
> lib,i just want build the boost lib, . i have such questions:
>
> 1, how could i know the bjam config options for building boost,
> such as runtime-link ,threading ,--libdir, --includedir .
> should i must read the total bbv2 document?

        bjam --help

in Boost's top-level dir will show the --libdir and the like.
The threading and the list are documented in the "Builtin features"
section of Boost.Build manual.

> 2,after build the total boost lib and installed in mingw
>
> bjam --toolset=gcc --build-dir="E:\tmp" install --libdir="C:\MinGW\lib"
> --includedir="C:\MinGW\include"
>
> ,i want to build the iostream with zlib support and aready installed
> zlib in mingw. according to the libs/iostreams/doc/index.html,
> i use command
> bjam -a --toolset=gcc -sNO_ZLIB -sZLIB_BINARY=zdll
> -sZLIB_LIBPATH=C:\MinGW\lib -sZLIB_INCLUDE=C:\MinGW\include get
> boost_iostreams-mgw41-d-1_34_1.a
> boost_iostreams-mgw41-d-1_34_1.dll
> yet cannot get
> libboost_iostreams-mgw41-1_34_1.a
> libboost_iostreams-mgw41-d-1_34_1.a
> and so on.
> thus, i still cann't use zlib with boost::iostream.

Sorry for being dense -- what is the problem, precisely? From
what you wrote, the problem is wrong name of a library? Does
adding

        <some-full-path>/boost_iostreams-mgw41-d-1_34_1.a

to the link command line work?

> 3.we know we can build the boost in mingw without MSYS by using bjam,yet
> the get start does not give such information. A note to Cygwin and MinGW
> users If you plan to use your tools from the Windows command prompt,
> you're in the right place. If you plan to build from the Cygwin bash
> shell, you're actually running on a POSIX platform and should follow the
> instructions for getting started on Unix variants. Other command shells,
> such as MinGW's MSYS, are not supported—they may or may not work.

Sorry, do you think there's something to be fixed, or not?

- Volodya