From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-14 16:08:07

gast128 wrote:

> Well take a look at Boost code as they use it themselves. To make it
> portable, guard them with compiler specific macro's. And yes it is
> better to fix the original code, but most of the times this is not an
> option. Freeing Boost from all unreferenced variables yourself, would
> take a week. And you can start over again when Boost 1.35 is launched.

as far as the serialization library is concerned, a many/most of
these will be addressed. Can't guarentee that all of them will as
some compilers (e.g. gcc) generate warnings on things that
have in fact been done intentionally. When that happens,
I consider the warning and verify that it's not relevant and
move on. That is I just accept that fact that the warning
is legitimate, and overriding it with my own judgement
is also legitimate. "Hiding" warnings sort of defeats
the purpopse of warnings in the first place and tweaking
code to avoid warning on all compilers is very
compiler dependent - and most of already spend
too much time on circular, pointless quests.

Robert Ramey