From: Christian Henning (chhenning_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-15 13:33:46

Hi there, a while ago I was asking some questions about the short
option feature. If I'm not mistaken a short option can only be one
letter long. Is that correct to say?

In my project I need more than this. So I started to just add the
short names to the options list like I would do for all options. But
in this case they would share the same variable. Like this:

   po::options_description settings( "" );
   settings.add_options()
      ( "input_1"
      , po::value< string >( &_input )
            ->default_value( "" )
      , "" )
      ( "i1"
      , po::value< string >( &_input )
            ->default_value( "" )
      , "" );

Both options are pointing to the same variable. For some reasons this
code works only for "input_1" and not for "i1". Why is that? If I use
--i1="Hallo" the _input is empty.

Regards,
Christian