From: Sergey Skorniakov (s.skorniakov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-16 03:31:47

I had looked into code and found that tracking and version information loaded from archive only if basic_iserializer::class_info returns true:

void
basic_iarchive_impl::load_preamble(
    basic_iarchive & ar,
    cobject_id & co
){
    if(! co.initialized){
        if(co.bis_ptr->class_info()){
            class_id_optional_type cid;
            load(ar, cid); // to be thrown away
            load(ar, co.tracking_level);
            load(ar, co.file_version);
        }
        else{
            // override tracking with indicator from class information
            co.tracking_level = co.bis_ptr->tracking(m_flags);
            co.file_version = version_type(
                co.bis_ptr->version()
            );
        }
        co.initialized = true;
    }
}

 So, for all types that has implementation_level less than object_class_info (standard library collections of primitive types has object_serializable implementation_level) information about tracking (and version) are generated in-place depending of presence appropriate instance of pointer_iserializer<Archive, T> in code. I think, it is very dangerous solution. May be, it's better to consider track_selectivly as track_always in such a situation.

The different behavior of xml archives explained by diferent implementation of loading object_id - xml archive just returns already parsed attribute (it gives object_id of last loaded object with object_id or uninitialized value), but other archives performs actual reading that leads into various troubles, depending of archive content.