From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-18 19:44:45

Dominick Layfield wrote:
> "Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> goes away. Any chance this could be added to a boost::serialization
>>> FAQ?
>>
>> you mean change the section named "rationale" to "FAQ"?
>
> Ermm... Yes, I suppose so. There ought to be some section that a
> newbie who is having problems would immediately look to see if this
> is a common problem.

> In my browser, the "Rationale" section of the documentation appears
> unexpanded
> by default. And even when I expand it, "Compile time trap when
> saving a non-const value" doesn't seem (when skimming the docs)
> relevant to the static assertion error. It also didn't appear in my
> Google search for the cryptic
> error message that the compiler produced.

Actually, I've considered reviewing all the email in this list and
summarizing
the results in a section "Hints and Troubleshooting Tips". I think this
is useful and necessary and useful, but I just havent gotten around to it.

>>> The "Compile time trap" section of the documentation doesn't
>>> actually explain what "object tracking" is all about. Neither
>>> (amusingly) does the Boost->Serialization->Reference->Special
>>> Considerations->Object Tracking section!
>>
>> Hmmm - well it's intended to. Maybe I just thought the meaning of
>> the term "Object Tracking" obvious.
>
> As a newbie, I can tell you that it wasn't obvious to me! :-)
>
> As I said, I wouldn't have expected the serialization library to do
> any automagical pointer stuff, so from this perspective, it's very
> hard to see what object tracking is, and why it would be necessary.

Other libraries do this as well - Microsoft MFC for example

> Well, once you've got an idea in your head about what should happen
> when a pointer is serialized (and had that concept for years, and
> written a whole library to implement it!), it probably seems obvious
> and "natural" that it
> should work that way.
>
> But to a newbie (to boost::serialization, not to C++), this behavior
> is rather surprising. For example if I do:
>
> my_class mc;
> my_class* mc_ptr = &mc;
> cout << mc_ptr;

> I don't get the my_class object sent to stdout. I get the value of
> the pointer itself. If I wanted the actual object displayed, I would
> dereference the pointer. So my intuition would be that
> boost::serialization would work in a similar way: if I wanted the
> object itself output/input, I would do it explicitly.

Well, that is a good point. I would think the best behavior would be for
the above to trap - but it doesn't

> I'm not trying to say that your approach is wrong. All I'm
> attempting to point out is that other people may have very different
> (and quite reasonable) expectations about what should happen.

I realise this. I've tried to be clear about what the library does
but it's not always clear to everyone.

> Sorry. What I meant was "Why would someone want this?" or "Why is
> this a useful feature?"

The central and fundamental idea of the serialization library is to
replicate any arbitray set of C++ data structures in another time and or
place.

Key words are "replicate", "arbitrary", and "C++". It was/is my
goal to make the system all encompassing. I don't ask what people
are going to do with it, I just make sure that the above statement is
true.

Now, if one believes the implementing the above makes for a library
that is too complicated or too inefficient, or too .... well, then maybe
its not a good choice for your application. But if you want to know
that it will replicate whatever you throw at it - its the system for you.
By using it, you free yourself from having to compromise your app
to beable to gain persistence. You have persistence regardless
of independently of any other design decisions you make in your
app. It decouples you app from this the whole question of
saving/reloading the data. And you don't have to mess up your
app with a lot of quirky code to do this. Just some standard
boiler plate - which is easy to verify - for each class. You can
even include data from libraries you didn't write yourself - because
its non-intrusive.

So that's was/is my motivation. I want the user of this library to
feel that he doesn't have to think about it as its all done.

Of course reality is one has to do a little bit more than the minimum.
One has to consider issues of tracking, duplicates, DLLS,
creating derived objects, etc. Its not that hard and in any case
its way easier than just redoing all the work from scratch.

> Fundamentally, there are two approaches to dealing with pointer
> serialization: (1) disallow it altogether; or (2) serialize the
> pointed-to object, and do all the clever object-tracking stuff.
>
> The first approach has the benefit of simplicity . So the only
> reason to take the second approach would be if automagic pointer
> serialization is really useful.

I can't tell users what they should or shouldn't do.

> However, I can't think of an example of when this would be really
> useful. Hence my question.

> But if you could provide me an example of when pointer serialization
> shines,
> then I would say "Aha! Now I understand why Robert went to so much
> trouble to make this work.", and I could be at peace with the world
> again! :-)

LOL - I haven't had time to make any real apps lately.

> BTW, I don't want to sound like I'm bashing your library, so let me
> end with a compliment. I think the symmetric design of serialize(),
> with the same function used for both input and output, is one of the
> prettiest
> idioms I've seen in years.

And that's the one thing I didn't do - I believe I "borrowed" it from Jens
Maurer.

One tiny point. I'm aware that the "const" trap is annoying. But I've
become
convinced that the annoyance is small compared to the hassles it saves me
and users from. I suspect that those who have a problem with aren't in the
habit of using "const" everywhere they can.

Robert Ramey