From: Stefaan (stefaan.deroeck_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-19 07:06:15

Hi!

I'm having an issue with archive portability. As I'm quite new to the
internals of boost, I hope my attempt at pinpointing the problem is
sensible:

#include <iostream>
#include <boost/serialization/vector.hpp>

int main()
{
        std::cerr << boost::serialization::implementation_level <std::vector
<long long> >::value << std::endl;
        return 0;
}

built on a x86_64 platform prints out "3", on a i386 platform it
prints out "2". I tested this both with boost 1.33.1 and 1.34.1. It is
my guess that it causes the serialization of the used type to result
in a larger archive on x86_64 than on i386. (Which is the original
problem that led me to discover this)
So my question is: is this the result of a bug in boost? If not, then
what is the explanation of this difference?

Using linux-2.6 with gcc.

Thanks,
Stefaan