From: Ovanes Markarian (om_boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-21 07:26:34

Joaquin,

thanks for your reply. I have to think about your suggestions. Some ideas
which come up to my mind now are:
1. Locator is clearly a better choice, but not always. In some use cases you
might find a range if a container allows multi-indexed values. In this case
one would need to make second search to find subsequent values??? Or miss
them at all...

2. In the example with:
 boost::iterator_range<std::set

> <std::string>::const_iterator> r=
> find_range(...);

The class value_retrieval contains a result_type which provides the shortcut
to iterator_range<...>

3. My idea in using iterator range relies on fact that one can retrieve a
valid or invalid range and operate on it within one search. Your idea with
there_exists requires a second search to retrieve the value. Since a typical
use case would be:
if(there_exists(some_container, "some_key"))
    some_value = *some_container.find("some_key");

and that is not so efficient as:

iter_range range = find_range(some_container, "some_key");
if(range)
   some_value = range.front();

I will think about other suggestions and mail them later in ;)

Many thanks again,
Ovanes