From: frederic.mayot_at_[hidden]
Date: 2007-08-30 13:49:15

>>On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 12:08:51PM -0400, frederic.mayot_at_[hidden]
wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm having a problem with mutexes.
>>
>> In one thread T1 I have:
>> while(!end)
>> {
>> /* TTT */
>> lock lk(mutex);
>> dosomethingquick();
>> }
>>

>> I'm sure dosomethingquick returns but T2 can never acquires the mutex.
>> If I had a timer on line /* TTT */ in T1 (sleeps for a millisecond),
>> everything works fine.
>>
>> Can anyone understand such a behavior? Am I doing something wrong here?
>>

>A guess: T1 reacquires the mutex before the OS actually dispatches T2 to
run.
>Unlocking the mutex just makes "ready" one of threads waiting for it, but
I'm
>not sure that it's required that the thread be immediately dispatched it
onto
>(a) CPU. When you insert a volountary sleep in T1, the scheduler puts T1
>sleep and chooses another ready thread (T2 in this case) to run.

Oh yes, I know that. The thing is I don't know what to do. The code I gave
is, in my opinion, something really common. I'm just wondering how other
people do in such a case... It seems completely absurd that I would have
to add a sleep just to help a thread acquiring a mutex!!
The NPTL does not offer fair mutexes (hence, neither boost). Leaving my
code as is, the only workaround I see would be to use an atomic variable
v. T2 sets v to true at the beginning of f() and sets it back to false at
the end. T1 would sleep only if the variable is true. What an ugly patch!!

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and
intended solely for the addressees.
E-mails are susceptible to alteration.
Neither SOCIETE GENERALE nor any of its subsidiaries or affiliates
shall be liable for the message if altered, changed or falsified.