From: Jens Seidel (jensseidel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-21 10:30:30

Hi,

I know that Boost.Log is not an official Boost library but I hope that
this is the right place to collect infos and errors of this library
(especially as the author does not respond).

I always missed the fact Boost.Log is not able to redirect messages of a
special priority (say err) to a file. Redirection is only based on the
logger name (e.g. "project.file_accesses"). It is possible to match all
priorities higher than a choosen one but if you collect many debug
outputs you will miss a few errors in the large log.

Now I noticed that I can just create separate loggers such as logger_err
and output an err message to the specified logger and additionally to
logger_err. Now I'm able to redirect err-level outputs via logger_err
*only*, great! I missed a solution like this in the library (yep, it's
not difficult, but ...) and it may be useful for others too.

Nevertheless the documentation manipulating_logs.html or the library
contains errors:

<quote>
  Here are the predefined levels:
  info (1000)
  warn (1200)
  dbg (1400)
  err (1600)
  fatal (2000)
  disable_all ( std::numeric_limits<unsigned>::max() )
  default_level (1000)
  enable_all (0)
</quote>

First of all dbg should have a much lower priority than info, not a
higher one! Also it should be
 disable_all (0)
 enable_all ( std::numeric_limits<unsigned>::max() )

In the past I noticed (and reported to the author who ignored my mail)
also trivial compile errors with latest g++ compiler (missing ";", ...).
I will continue reporting issues to this list, just in case another
person wants to maintain Boost.Log or the author will continue his work
(which I hope) ...

What logger framework do Boost users use? I do not remember reading much
about Boost.Log on this list ...

Jens