From: Kirit Sælensminde (kirit.saelensminde_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-27 10:47:59

David Abrahams wrote:
> on Sun Sep 23 2007, Kirit Sælensminde <kirit.saelensminde-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think there is a real difference in intent. The wiki doesn't seem
>> to have any way to manage short snippets of code to show how to do
>> particular things in the way that a cookbook site does.
>
> What's wrong with
>
> {{{
> #!cpp
> short your_code(here)
> {
> return something_interesting();
> }
> }}}
>
> ??

Nothing, although maybe a "Source code" prompt and a big input box is
easier for casual users.

It still leaves the matter of intent though. It remains to be seen how
people will react to the cookbook site once the initial novelty wears
off and whether or not it elicits any real number of contributions.
Maybe the narrower focus will be better for people, maybe not. Time will
tell. I'm quite optimistic.

So long as it doesn't take time away from current documentation efforts
(which it hasn't so far) and if it brings in even a fairly small number
of new things that otherwise would not have been collected then I hope
it will be termed a success - I will certainly think of it that way :)