From: Boris (boriss_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-04 04:21:11

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 07:41:44 +0300, Bjørn Roald <bjorn_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Boris wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your help! I could build Boost 1.34.1 successfully -
>> stdlib=sun-stlport did the trick. After reading a comparison between
>> libCstd and libstlport at
>> http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/cmp_stlport_libCstd.html it
>> might be a good idea for Boost to automatically choose stlport when
>> Boost
>> is built on Solaris?
>
> Yes, but the better sulution is for sun to do it in their compiler. They
> can let users select the old library as an option if they need the
> backword compatibillity. As it seems to me Sun has no plans to get that
> library fixed, so why keep it as default?

If there are no plans for Sun to fix their old library no Boost user on
Solaris will be able to build Boost out of the box as you always have to
select stlport explicitly? That doesn't mean I don't sympathize with your
idea of switching the default library on Solaris - but I don't think that
it's going to happen as backward compatibility seems to be really
important to them.

Boris