From: Larry (lknain_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-06 22:05:08

I had a program that I had built with Boost 1_34 and it worked well (built
with MSVC 7.1). I downloaded 1_34_1 and built 1_34_1 for VC8 and VC7.1 using
bjam 3.1.14.

bjam --toolset=msvc-7.1 install

I switched the program build to use Boost 1_34_1 and the build fails looking
for libboost_date_time-vc71-mt-sgd-1_34_1.lib as part of the link. Going
back to the Boost build I find

msvc.archive
bin.v2\libs\date_time\build\msvc-71\debug\link-static\runtime-link-static\libboost_date_time-vc-sgd-1_34_1.lib
common.copy C:\Boost\lib\libboost_date_time-vc-sgd-1_34_1.lib
             1 file(s) copied.

The only thing I changed was the include list entry from
c:\boost\include\boost_1_34 to c:\boost\include\boost_1_34_1. The lib
directory is the same in both cases.

I didn't find anything looking through the boost.user group or in the doc
but perhaps I looked at it and just didn't realize the answer was there.
Perhaps I didn't do something I should have or did something I shouldn't
have. Any ideas?

I got surprised (probably again) when building Boost because I had run
vcvars32.bat for MSVC 7.1 and then did

bjam --toolset=msvc install

and the surprise was it built for MSVC 8.0. The doc does say the build will
find the VC compiler but I had sort of assumed it would use what was in the
environment before searching elsewhere for a compiler version. But after
that I ran

bjam --toolset=msvc-71 install

and it ran without complaint. I did several iterations of the 7.1 build
including a build with -a and also did a --clean followed by a Boost build
and neither altered the outcome of the Boost build (that I could see) and
did not alter the outcome of the program build with VC 7.1. The program
build was done via VS. Moving the include back to 1_34 works.

Larry