From: dhruva (dhruvakm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-07 22:48:47

Hi,

On Nov 8, 2007 8:50 AM, Kirit Sælensminde <kirit.saelensminde_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Mark Wyszomierski wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to hash a string, something like:
> >
> > 1) Take string (password) from user
> > 2) Hash it
> > 3) Store to disk
> >
> > I see boost has some hashing features, but am not quite sure how they
> > work. Do they do this type of thing? I'm looking for some really
> > simple hashing, this is just for a simple application.
>
> There is a Boost.Crypto in the vault -
> http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2007/09/127248.php
>
> We use OpenSSL for this on Windows which I'm pretty sure also works on
> Unix too.
>
> Don't forget to salt the password before hashing :)

If a simple one way hashing is what you need (just to convert a string
to a number with least collisions), consider the hashing function in
Glib which is also used in XEmacs.

Look for "hash_string" under:
http://cvs.xemacs.org/viewcvs.cgi/XEmacs/xemacs/src/symbols.c?rev=1.45.2.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

I have personally used it in developing a parser/compiler for a DMIS
language (CNC type machines) build a syntax tree.

with best regards,
dhruva

--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Contents reflect my personal views only!