From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-14 11:02:54

on Wed Nov 14 2007, chandra_india-AT-webdunia.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> like they explain at section 5.2.4 here http://www.boost.org/more/getting_started/windows.html#
> build-directory
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\src\boost> bjam ^
>
> More? --build-dir=C:\Documents and Settings\src\boost\tools ^
>
> More? --toolset=gcc stage
>
> i get the message:
>
> could not find main target C:\Documents and Settings\src\boost\tools assuming it's the name of
> ..
>
> It doesn't fond the build directory. Why?
>
> i get the same message with bjam --build-dir=build-directory --toolset=toolset-name stage.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\src\boost is my boost root
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\src\boost\tools is the build directory i 've chosen and stage is a
> subdirectory of it.

Using your Boost tools directory as a build directory is
inadvisable, but that's not the source of your problems.

> i am looking for a programmer who has the response, the question is simply about bjam on the
> command line. Don't talk about the white spaces and others, because it's not the answer.
> Please, no fake.

Please don't be rude. Nobody's intentionally faking you out; they're
trying to do their best to help you, and, I might add, out of the
goodness of their hearts. The fact that our replies have not solved
your problems is due to the fact that you're not giving us complete
information. In order to know what your problem is, we need to see
the *exact* command you typed at the command line and the *exact and
complete* output you get from the build tool.

For example, in order to get the error message you've shown above,
there's *no way* you could have typed the bjam command as you've shown
it, because

  --build-dir=C:\Documents and Settings\src\boost\tools

would be interpreted as three arguments. So the entire string
"C:\Documents and Settings\src\boost\tools" must have been quoted when
you typed it. And the error message about "could not find main
target" indicates that it wasn't treated as a build-dir argument. So
you must have separated it from "--build-dir=" on the command line.
Something like:

  bjam --build-dir= "C:\Documents and Settings\src\boost\tools"

I suggest you try exactly the following:

  bjam "--build-dir=C:\Documents and Settings\src\boost\tools" --toolset=gcc stage

and see what happens. That seems to approximate what you are trying
to achieve. If it fails with a similar message to the one you've
gotten above, then you didn't copy the command line exactly.

Good Luck,

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting