From: JOAQUIN LOPEZ MU?Z (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-20 16:09:22

----- Mensaje original -----
De: Ovanes Markarian <om_boost_at_[hidden]>
Fecha: Martes, Noviembre 20, 2007 8:56 pm
Asunto: Re: [Boost-users] [multi-index] dereferencing the end iterator
Para: boost-users_at_[hidden]

> Ok, now it's clear. But is it so difficult to do the way some
> other Boost Libs do or STL implementations. If _DEBUG is defined
> the safe mode with assertions is turned on...

<pedantic>The standard way is checking for !defined(NDEBUG)</pedantic>

> Or are there some other disadvantages (like extremely slow
compilation
> speed)?

There is a noticeable runtime penalty: operations that are constant
time become linear with the number of iterators pointing to a
given element etc. I took the decision not to include this overhead
by default --seeing now how little safe mode seems to be used,
meybe I made the wrong choice. But I'm very conservative with regard
to changes in the lib, such as making safe mode the default in
debug mode.

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo