From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-22 04:46:53

Jin Sun wrote:
> Can anybody tell me which one has better performance?

Well it depends what you mean :-)

I'd be surprised if there was much difference between the core regex
engines: maybe one would be slightly better at some things the other at
different things. Where you gain with Boost.Regex is in the ability to
write the surrounding code in a compiled language rather than have it
interpreted. Whether you succeed in making your app faster as a result will
mainly depend on how cunning you are at avoiding unnecessary copying/memory
allocations in your code logic: to put it another way, badly written C++ can
be the slowest thing around, while well written code can be as fast as any
language out there.

Oh, and not all regular expressions are created equal: if the problem is the
speed of the regex matching, then it's likely a problem with the regex
you're using.

Just my - entirely biased - 2c, John Maddock.