From: Sohail Somani (sohail_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-05 17:10:00

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 16:02:02 -0600, Robert Dailey wrote:

> Your suggestion is good and all, however it doesn't really give me much
> benefit.

That's fine. The class that was posted earlier was meant to address
thread-safety concerns more than anything. If this is not a concern for
you, then you are lucky. However, if it is, I would caution you on your
use of any Release() function. Ensure that the use of this function is
threadsafe. There is a posting here:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c++.moderated/browse_thread/
thread/e824b5a595066332

That seems to do it in a sensible manner.

> If I can find a class that automates this for me JUST by deriving from
> it, that would be perfect. However this may be too much to ask? Your
> singleton idea is great, however it doesn't exactly fulfill what I'm
> looking for. I apologize for not having elaborated on this thoroughly to
> begin with.

You might look at the singleton library in the Boost Vault under the X-
files folder. It seems to be the Swiss Army Knife of singletons and might
do what you want.

--
Sohail Somani
http://uint32t.blogspot.com