From: Benoit Sigoure (tsuna_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-13 04:37:07

Hello list,

Boost libraries often ship compiled in various different
"flavors" (compiled with different runtime-options). First off, is
there an official place where this is documented? I didn't find any,
besides the header `boost/config/auto_link.hpp'. Based on this
header, I tried to document the suffix used by Boost libraries as
follows:

> A suffix is one or more of the following letters: sgdpn (in that
> order). s = static
> runtime, d = debug build, g = debug/diagnostic runtime, p = STLPort
> build,
> n = (unsure) STLPort build without iostreams from STLPort (it looks
> like `n'
> must always be used along with `p'). Additionally, it can start
> with `mt-' to
> indicate for multi-thread builds.

Is this accurate? What is a `static runtime'? My guess is that `-s'
is Windows-specific, because on Windows it's common to see both
shared libraries and static libraries using the same naming scheme
`libfoo.lib' (because in the shared library case, `libfoo.lib' is not
a directly shared library but rather an import library), can anyone
confirm that? This entails that for most UNIX-like OSes, the `-s'
variant doesn't exist, it's the `libfoo.a' static archive that is
used instead, is that correct?

Cheers,

--
Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory