From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-05 12:46:02

Format for binary archives has changed starting in 1.35. My guess is that the changes should should be made conditional on the library version. I didn't make these changes but I'll see that its looked into.

Text and XML archives shouldn't be affected. That is, archives created by any previous version of the serialization library should be readable by any subsequent version of the library. If this is not the case, please let us know.

Thanks for testing this.

Robert Ramey
  "Marc Viala Perso" <marc.viala_at_[hidden]> wrote in message news:002101c84fae$ec9a5420$0201a8c0_at_acticm.com...
  Hello,

  This mail is about Boost.Serialization and more specifically the new release of this library, tagged as 1.36, which can be found via the link: www.rrsd.com; I've found this link into a specific thread about Serialization and multi-threading.

  Last week, I've downloaded this new release and tested it in my environment - Windows XP and Visual C++ 7.1.6030; the compilation was done against Boost.1.34.1 trunk and was running with success but I've noticed that some, "not all", old binary archives generated w/ Boost.Serialization 1.34.1 can't be restored with this new version of Boost.Serialization. When I compare the binary files with a file binary comparison software utility it seems that the binary formats between these two versions are not comparables.

  I would like to know if this behaviour is "normal": i.e. the binary formats between 1.34.1 and 1.36 are not strictly equivalent and that an old binary archive can be declare "not compatible" w/ the 1.36 release. Is this right? Furthermore, is it possible to have the same behaviour w/ an XML or Text Archive format? Could we guarantee a sort of compatibility in the future? And more generally speaking, what is the policy for insuring compatibility between new releases of Boost.Serialization?

  Best regards,

  Marc VIALA