From: Andrew Marlow (andrew.marlow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-10 06:01:20

I am trying to build boost on solaris9 where there is only a partial GCC
installation. Version 3.4.6 of g++ is installed but the vendor linker is
the only linker available (this cannot be changed, there are no SAs and I
do not know the root password). I have already found there are lots of
compilation errors unless I say -with-icu=no". But I am getting errors now
when it tries to invoke the linker. It looks like it assumes the GCC
(binutils) linker is available if the GCC compiler is being used. Here's
what I get:

...updating 70 targets...
gcc.link.dll
bin.v2/libs/serialization/build/gcc-3.4.6/debug/threading-multi/libboost_seri
alization-gcc34-mt-d-1_34_1.so.1.34.1
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: illegal option -- -
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: illegal option -- -
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: illegal option -- g
ld: warning: option -o appears more than once, first setting taken
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: illegal option -- -
usage: ld [-6:abc:d:e:f:h:il:mo:p:rstu:z:B:CD:F:GI:L:M:N:P:Q:R:S:VY:?]
file(s)
        [-64] enforce a 64-bit link-edit
  [rest of output snipped]

I presume this error would go away if the GCC ld was used. Unfortunately I
cannot test that theory because I cannot install ld. Just adding the GCC
ld to my PATH on the front does not stop the vendor ld from being used. I
suspect that because g++ was linked using the vendor linker, it will
always use the vendor linker. In which case I think there is a problem in
the boost build.

Regards,

Andrew Marlow

----
There is an emerald here the size of a plover's egg!
 Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html
Plain text mails only, please      http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
---
Please refer to http://www.db.com/en/content/eu_disclosures.htm for additional EU corporate and regulatory disclosures.