From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-13 12:31:16

matthias.jaeschke_at_[hidden] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are using boost in one of our products, and are now in the process of
> collecting the information needed to export it to other countries.
>
> Can you tell me what the U.S. Export Control Classification Number
> (ECCN) for boost is, and whether a license exception may be used for it?

No idea. I'm afraid this looks like a job for someone's legal department.

> If you don't know the US ECCN, can you tell me whether any US citizens
> or people living in the U.S.A. have contributed code to boost?

Yes, of course, many boost contributors are from the US.

> In addition to the U.S. ECCN, there is also a German "ECCN", which is
> called the AL Number. Can you tell me what the AL Number is for boost?
>
> To better understand the meaning of the U.S. ECCN, please check the
> following webpage:
> _http://www.bis.doc.gov/Licensing/Do_I_NeedAnECCN.html_

Sorry, I realize that's not much help. I have to say, it's odd to me to think
that you are 'exporting' in any way. Boost is globally developed and
distributed -- who and where it is developed are pretty much irrelevant. It
just happens that the main boost hosting servers are in the US. You work for
European company. Anyway, seems hard to say that you would be *exporting*
boost anywhere....I guess this is why I'm not a lawyer....

Jeff