From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-14 04:37:33

Barberi wrote:
> Newbie to boost. I used the MSVC 8.0 installer, and got the first
> couple of example programs to work, but failed on the regex example.
> I'm using MSVC 2008 (aka MSVC-9.0) (Express Edition) IDE, in Debug
> configuration. The linker can't resolve several symbols with
> libboost_regex_vc80-mt-gd-1_34_1.lib. Stripped of the qualifiers
> these are: _Orphan_all(void) const, ~_Container_base(void),
> _Swap_all(...), and insert(...). I switched to release
> configuration, now the linker looks in
> libboost_regex_vc80-mt-1_34_1.lib and can't find insert(...).
>
> Any suggestions? Should I wait for a MSVC-9.0 installer, and go back
> to MSVC 2005 in the meantime?

The binary installer will install binaries compiled against VC8 (Visual
Studio 2005) which probably won't work with VC9 as you have found. You
could build the regex lib from source by following the instructions on the
getting started page. Also remember also that the Regex lib is "just a
bunch of source files": there's nothing magic about building them, so you
can also build libs/regex/src/*.cpp to a static lib in your IDE and then add
that project as a dependency to your application: make sure you define
BOOST_REGEX_NO_LIB when building your .exe to suppress auto-linking if you
take this route.

HTH, John.