From: Jens Seidel (jensseidel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-18 02:57:13

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 01:05:16PM +0530, dhruva wrote:
> I am not sure on what platform you are looking for tools to detect
> memory leaks.
>
> Assuming on M$ (windows):
> 1. DebugDiag
> 2. UMDH

I would use valgrind (at least on Linux and x86, it doesn't work for
many other platforms such as Mips :-() For programs using only malloc
there should be many more alternatives such as electric fence, ...

> These are available for free from MS and are very useful. Though, it

Where free means probably without source code ...

> requires you to perform multiple actions before being able to drill
> down into the code.

valgrind doesn't require this but using compiled debug information in your
program is a good idea. Maybe it works even with Cygwin?

As it is also a memory access checker it is a very good tool (but not
cross platform!!!)!

Jens