From: Joaquín Mª López Muñoz (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-30 05:53:19

Hello Martin,

Martin Fisher ha escrito:

> Took a look at the flyweight library.
>
> I'm very much a beginner - so not a formal review, just a couple of
> comments:
>
> I wrote a very simple test program to try flyweight.
>
> In essence:

[...]

> This fails to compile with Borland Turbo C++ (internal compiler error)

This is expected as flyweight<> default factory is based on Boost.MultiIndex,
which is not supported on Borland. You might try redefining your flyweight
type as

  flyweight<string,set_factory>

where the factory is based on a regular std::set. I don't know if this will work
in Borland, though, I haven't tried this compiler myself.

> Under MS Visual C++ (Express 2008) it compiles ok.
> There is quite a performance hit over a standard vector<string> - 6s ->
> 80s in debug and 101s in release?
> From the docs I'd expected to just use copy and back_inserter?
>
> However, the showstopper for me at present is this crashes with:
>
> Managed Debugging Assistant 'FatalExecutionEngineError' has detected a
> problem in 'd:\Users\Martin\Documents\Visual Studio
> 2008\Projects\fly\Debug\fly.exe'.

Are you compiling in C++/CLI (CLR) mode rather than pure C++? This
might be the cause of the speed penalty and the crash. I don't know how
compatible the library is with managed C++'s. If you can provide me with
a complete test program I'll be happy to try it myself this afternoon
(in ~10 hours) and report my findings.

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo