From: Jonathan Turkanis (turkanis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-31 10:49:10

Manfred Doudar wrote:
> Hello all,

> IP Counsel of the organization I work for just said I ought to draft
> the letter myself and just have the Lab Director sign it (, consistent
> with the approval already granted .. ie. "Ok to release the work under
> the BSL").
>
> My question is, what exactly ought to be the wording of such a letter?

Normally, the answer to this question would be to consult an attorney
and not to rely on legal advice from developers on this list. But since
you have already consulted an attorney who said to draft the letter
yourself, I think you simply need to state the facts very clearly in
ordinary language (including that you were asked to draft the letter by
your IP counsel) and have the director sign it.

In my experience, if there is some special legal formula that needs to
go in a document, an attorney will not ask you to draft it yourself, or
will tell you exactly what to write.

> Cheers,

Best,

--