From: jono (jp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-18 17:31:38

hi all,

i was wondering if there are any formal initiatives in the boost
community to provide 'lock free' data structures using CAS (compare and
swap)?

in particular, this looks promising...

"Instead of providing a separate atomic smart pointer, we propose
additions to shared_ptr's interface to address this use case. A typical
example scenario — a "lock-free" reader/writer pattern — that takes
advantage of this functionality is outlined below:..."
[http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG21/docs/papers/2007/n2297.html#atomic]

is this likely to happen this year? i've seen some other discussion,
such as
http://www.nabble.com/Lock-free-atomic_shared_ptr%3CT%3E--td14958758.html

i've used the Microsoft interlocked API's in a past (audio processing)
project, but i'm developing a video pipeline for Linux/Win32 and it
would be a huge 'boost' to be able to eliminate some locking and have
deterministic real time. if that were introduced via the shared_ptr
interface, i'd be over the moon.

unfortunately, i don't have the skills to really contribute to this
initiative, but i wld like to add my voice to those who might find a use
for it!

cheers,
jono