From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-15 05:41:39

Martina Janter wrote:
> There are three libs: boost...dll, libboost...lib and
> libboost...s...lib.
> My questions:
> -What's the difference between the second and the third one?

The third one is built against the static runtime library, the second
against the dynamic runtime library (in other words these differ depending
which code generation options you select in your IDE).

> -Why does building with the IDE link against the second and building
> on the console (/ link /LIBPATH:...) link against the third type? I
> looked into auto_link.hpp and the IDE seems to set _DLL but boost
> doesn't define BOOST_DYN_LINK. But I can't find out why. This leads
> to question 3: -How to link so the dll will be used?

Define BOOST_ALL_DYN_LIB in your project settings->defines.

_DLL indicates that the dll runtime is in use, but for deployment reasons
many people prefer to still link Boost statically: hense this is the
default.

HTH, John.