From: Daniel James (daniel_james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-16 12:40:41

On 12/03/2008, Peter Pein <petsie_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Dear group,
>
> I did a search for "4.3" and did not get a result. If the following question
> has been asked before, please forgive me and point me to the correct thread.
>
> I had problems compiling gnash-0.8.2. using Fedora 8 and gcc 4.3.

gcc 4.3 isn't entirely supported yet and won't be for a little while
(it's only just been released).

> The error message has been:
[snip]
> /usr/include/boost/date_time/special_values_parser.hpp:34: error: changes
> meaning of 'special_values_parser' from 'class
> boost::date_time::special_values_parser<date_type, charT>'
[snip]

> Is this an error inside boost? Or is it possible that gnash-sources define a
> prototype in a wrong manner?

I had a look at the files history, and found this:

http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/40558

So it's probably a boost error which will be fixed in the next release
(1.35), which should be fairly soon.

> Do I have to edit all the Makefiles by hand? If yes, what is the ./configure
> script for?

The boost configure script is not a typical configure script - it
basically sets up the boost build system (which is based on bjam, not
make) and some makefiles to call it. This means that a lot of the
flags that you can normally use don't work. Which is why you are
having problems.

I'm afraid I'm not much help here as I don't use the configure script
myself, but if there's a file called 'user-config.jam' in your
directory after you run configure, you can use a different version by
editing that. It'll probably contain:

    using gcc ;

Change that to something like:

    using gcc : 4.2 : g++-4.2 ;

To use a different version (all the spaces are required).

But looking at the gnash web pages, they seem to recommend using the
prebuilt Fedora packages. So maybe that's best. Other than that, the
getting started documentation might help:

http://www.boost.org/more/getting_started/unix-variants.html

Daniel