From: Robert Dailey (rcdailey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-25 10:20:38

For manage_new_object, how does Python determine when to delete the pointer?
For variables defined in python function scope this seems obvious, it would
be destroyed after the function is done executing. For globals, however, I'm
not sure. You also have to consider what happens when you make copies of the
variable (passing into functions, explicit copies through assignment, etc).
I don't know for sure what will happen in any of these scenarios. Object
copies in Python have always confused me, since there is no concept of
by-value or by-reference. I've found through running simple test apps that
some objects, when passed into parameters of functions, are passed by
reference (in other words, the original object is modified when the function
body mutates the parameter it was passed into) and some are by value (the
original object is NOT modified when the function mutates the parameter it
was passed into). I'm not really sure why Python makes this feel so
inconsistent.

This is a little off-topic from Boost at this point and I do apologize, but
I hope you will bare with me. I brought this up on the Python mailing list
once and I didn't feel like I received any answers to my questions. I'm
still confused about it, at least.