From: Boris (boriss_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-02 07:17:52

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 03:39:31 +0200, K. Noel Belcourt <kbelco_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> [...]Oh, I'm probably wrong. I understood ASIO to provide asychronous IO
> but now that I look more closely at the documentation, I see this.
>
> Portable networking, including sockets, timers, hostname resolution
> and socket iostreams.
>
> So it appears you could implement MPI on top of ASIO. My bad.

I don't know MPI but indeed Boost.Asio is extensible: You can create
services and add them to the core I/O service object in Boost.Asio. There
is not really a step-by-step tutorial how to do this but with some trial
and error and looking at existing source code (in Boost.Asio and examples)
it works. In fact it would be nice if these services are collected
somewhere (but then again I don't kow if there are so many services
developed anyway).

Boris