From: Boris (boriss_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-02 10:02:49

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 15:35:26 +0200, Hartmut Kaiser
<hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Volodya,
>
>> > I'ld rather like to see Asio implemented on top of MPI.
>>
>> How would that be? It seems that Asio is more low-level and generic and
>> MPI,
>> so implementing Asio on top of MPI is not possible.
>
> What I meant is to implement Asio on top of the (highly efficient) MPI
> transport layer. Asio currently supports the IP protocol only, where MPI
> gives you access to a whole bunch of different network implementations
> (Myrinet etc.). Do I misunderstand something?

Boost.Asio currently supports only network I/O out of the box. However it
can be extended to support any asynchronous I/O operations. For example I
have created a file monitor which I can plug into a Boost.Asio I/O core
service. If a file changes then a handler is called. Thus it's the same
concept as used by the network services (which are really the only
services provided by Boost.Asio today and which made me also wonder some
time ago why this library isn't simply called Boost.Net).

Boris