From: Christoph Duelli (duelli_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-04 02:10:43

Vladimir Prus wrote:

> Christoph Duelli wrote:
>
>> bjam has the option
>> --build-type=complete
>>
>> Is it somehow possible (other than manually editing the Makefile) to
>> specify this option when calling configure?
>>
>> (I'm asking because I'd like to script the build of Boost; and so far it
>> only builds in release mode. I'd like to avoid to edit Makefile on any
>> machine I need to build Boost on.)
>
> Out of curiousity -- why do you want to use configure, as opposed to
> invoking 'bjam' directly? The only two things that are really being
> auto-configured are python and ICU -- do you actually need to
> auto-configure those?
Well, it's not exactly that I want to use configure.
But configure is right there when you un-tar the boost .bz2 package. So it
suggested itself. (Whereas bjam is either an extra package to install or
else it is hidden inside some subdirectory of boost.)
Boils down to:
Reason 1) usual way is: ./configure; make
Reason 2) here: less work than looking for bjam, checking what arguments (if
any) to pass
(If configure is not the recommended way to build boost, why is it there at
all?)

PS: The "Gettings Started Guide" is somewhat hard to find right now. It used
to be more accesible. Iirc, it was accessible from or near the download
section, which I thought was a good place for it.

Best regards
Christoph