From: Dan Thill (dgt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-13 17:46:04

Dan Thill wrote:
>> Is it a possibility that the linker is not linking in the
>> guid_initializer code? For this particular build type, I'm not even
>> doing optimizations... let alone link-time code generation. This is
>> on MSVC80.
>
> Hm. The MSVC debugger isn't letting me set breakpoints in any of my
> serialization code, saying "This breakpoint won't be hit. No symbols
> have been loaded for this document"
>
> I know that the serialization code is being generated in the static
> library (compilation times are lengthy) and that library is specified on
> the linker commandline. But after that...

To reply to myself once more...

Yes, this is the problem. I put a breakpoint at
extended_type_info_typeid.hpp:96, and it is not being called for any
types which I serialize *only* via base class pointer. For types that
are serialized through most-derived pointer (sharing the same base as
the others), an extended_type_info_typeid_1<T> is getting created for
each one.

-Dan