From: Axel (axel.azerty_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-30 11:45:28

Hello,

In a single process but multithreaded software, should I use
Boost.Threads synchronization mechanisms or can I use Boost.Interprocess
synchronization mechanisms without counterparts and without seeing any
difference ? ( in particular boost::interprocess::interprocess_semaphore
class )

When using interprocess_mutex, my programm threw a lock_exception. I
changed to boost::mutex and didn't managed to reproduce it. So, could
this be related or the lock_exception has same chances to happen with
boost::mutex ?

I'm using semaphore to synchronize threads, so is it reliable in a
single process multithreaded software ?

By the way, I'm currently using boost::mutex instances which I lock()
and unlock() directly. What benefits could I have by using
boost::unique_lock (with a deferred lock) rather than access directly to
the mutex instance ?

Thanks in advance.
Axel