From: Nat Goodspeed (nat_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-22 14:55:33

Frank Mori Hess wrote:

>> Another question: what would be the most simple way to do asynchronous
>> signaling? at the stage of connecting to a signal I'd like to supply an
>> asynchronous queue along with slot handler, and at the stage of signaling
>> the signal - instead of direct execution of a functor - must just post it
>> to the associated queue (slots' return values are not of interest to me).
>
> I don't think such things are within the scope of a signals library. You can
> however implement your slot to queue whatever you like wherever you like.

It's fairly straightforward, actually, though my experience is
admittedly with the older boost::signals library running in a single
thread. We took the opposite approach of explicitly queuing event
objects. When we "pump" the queue, it sends each of those pending events
through the signal to all connected slots.